Friday, July 22, 2011

High Fashion...Right?

Ok, so I am all about fashion.  I will admit that I always choose comfort over something that looks amazing.  I also must admit that I have "collections" of awesome things that I will never wear: shoes, clothes, jewelry.  Just because I love fashion...interesting things.

And because I have always been into fashion, since I was about 11 or so, I have always been into high fashion magazines.  Man, I would rip out all the pages and put the trends together in these Lisa Frank folders.  I would draw and sketch and try to predict trends on my own.  I applied (and was accepted) into a bunch of art schools because I was sure that the fashion industry was for me.  Needless to say, that is not the path that I pursued.  I am happy with my life now, and I am happy that I chose this life instead of life in the fast lane. 

But then I saw something amazing!!!  No, really, I am not being dramatic at all.  I have to be honest, I always dream and think about all the "what-ifs".  But I guess I don't really have to dream anymore.

Check this out...



Sorry about the wrinkled paper.  I ripped this out of the July 2011 of ELLE magazine.... I had to do it on the low... I was waiting on my gynecologist.  When I heard her coming, I ripped out the page and shoved it into my purse.  I just had to take it right then and there.  I was so excited.  I admit, I am a loser and I hate being dishonest.  So for everyone who is worried I stole this page and ran out of my gynecologist office..... I didn't  I pulled it out and showed it to her and asked if I could leave with the ripped page.  She told me it didn't matter to her whether I took the whole magazine.  I didn't want to do that.  Who knows what other woman might come in and leave with a pap smear and a new take on fashion :)

So  JUST LOOK!!!!!!  This "High Fashion" ensemble is totally all about this skirt.... and this skirt is a what??  GRANNY SQUAAAAARE!!!!  Ok, I might be a little over-excited.  But this is where I am coming from.....  We, crochet lovers, make all grannies ALL the time!  It's so simple!

But seriously....This is what took my breath away:

This little skirt ... is $1300!!!!  Wh-what?!  Crazy, right.  This is a skirt by Christopher Kane by Johnstons of Elgin.  I rushed to tell The Hubs about it.  I was like, "Babe, I have one of those in my closet!" 

Remember this?

Well, almost...  I am pretty positive that the designer one was made of all silk cashmere... Hell, for $1300, it better have some gold & silver threading woven into the yarn.  Anyway, I googled and searched all over to find more details about the skirt, but I couldn't. 

The point here is that Something as small and simple as a granny square can still totally work in a the world of overly-sophisticated, overly priced High Fashion. I love this!

It reminds me that....
Anything is Possible!  Never Forget the Simple Things in Life!....

And of course, my new objective is to make one toooooo!

2 comments:

  1. $1300? That's insane- but someone will buy it, I'm sure. I can't wait to see your version- even with a cashmere blend yarn, it couldn't be that pricey. It's awesome to see crochet going mainstream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I am not sure what the square was made of, but I am just in aww that someone would make a simple square (with NO lining; you can see her purple panties underneath) and it is $1300!!! i could sell millions of granny squares LOL :)

    ReplyDelete