Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Have a Happy Handmade Christmas!

Well, it's the holiday season.  I cannot believe how fast this year has flown by.  I planned on making more posts this year than ever, but I guess that didn't work out. It's really time consuming to log in, comment, read, write, edit, upload, post daily for me.  It's also painful, as I have really bad carpal tunnel.

But it's the holidays and I am newly inspired!  I have wanted to do this for years, and for some reason, this year I am actually working on a HANDMADE CHRISTMAS.  Don't get me wrong, it will not be 100% handmade.  The fact is:  I am not building a dollhouse for my daughter or taking an electrical engineer class in order to construct some awesome electronic gifts.  So those will be store bought, but outside of toys and electronics, I am making things by hand.

So I am sitting in my disaster of a dining area late last night (or early this morning; take your pick) and I am working on my cards to mail out, cutting, pasting, decorating, etc.... and I think:  Why am I not blogging about this???  I know the answer.... "Because every time I post, I disappear for months on end without notice..."  Well, that and my wrist hurts really bad when I am on my laptop *Sad face!

But even if the posts are short and the pictures are of mediocre quality, I want to have some proof that I made my Christmas!


First, I made myself a holiday planner.  The picture of the cover is somehow saved in an odd angle that I can't fix, but this is the inside.  I got the idea off of pinterest randomly looking up DIY Christmas gift ideas.  I didn't find any ideas I liked, but I was ecstatic about getting organized in such a cute way!

Then I got started on my Christmas cards.  I normally buy about 200 cards, but this year, I wanted to make them, so I kept it simple, keeping the mailing list to less than 100.  If I spend the next weeks making cards, then I am sure to disappoint those expecting some creative gifts!

I cranked out about 60 envelopes over the weekend!  I am glad I kept up the hard work.  My attention span is about as short as a new born baby's. 

And then the other night, I fooled around with about 40 fonts until I found 4 that I liked the best.  I edited the text into the small cards and cut them out.

I have actually finished about half of them now, but I will save that for another day to post about :) 
I chose not to make lavish, extravagant (and time consuming cards) but I really like the cards I designed.  They are festive, cute, and simple.

More to come in the next few days, as I prepare to mail out my first batch of cards!

Happy Holidays!



 

1 comment: