Sunday, November 25, 2012

Handmade Holidays: Inspo Flow!

It's really true when someone says, "You can't  have it all!"  I hate to be honest about it and face those facts, but it is what it is.  I can't have the best of ALL worlds.  My week has been FULL of crafting, shopping and gift wrapping.  I have to slow down and remember my priorities....

At this point, my apartment looks like a fucking crime scene:  Laundry piled higher than the head of my soon-to-be six year old!  Disorganized piles of things for work, holiday crafting, mail, to-do... and whatever.  We have NO FOOD in the house-- how the hell have I been finding time to cook so much???  My kiddo's home school lessons haven't been planned for the next week.  My hair is on top of my head, looking like a crazy piece of hell! And on top of that, I have been getting 2-4 hours of sleep per night. 

In case you were wondering what my priorities are:  Self-Care (preserving my mental health and physical wellness), Domestic Responsibilities (being a good Mother and Wife), Financial Gain, and then comes Arts/Crafts.  As of right now, I am living my priorities backwards--  I have been arting more than anything.  Then, I have taken on lots of responsibilities at work, and I spend time at home tackling that mess I created.  I am totally slacking in the area of all things "domestically related".  And I haven't been eating or sleeping well at all.  So yea---  tonight is not about art.  It's about getting my apartment scrubbed, my hair combed, my feet pedicured, and making a menu/grocery list.

Don't you hate it when reality slaps the shit out of you??  IT SUCKS!  I just wanna have FUNNN!!!  But it really is no fun when you can't focus on what you enjoy because the more important tasks have not taken care of themselves!

.....  BUT!!!  I did need to take some time tonight to jot down my Christmas Inspo.  Having a handmade Christmas is so much fun, but I really have to do my research!  So this is what I did today:  I went to the grocery store.  They have a reasonable magazine selection.  But I am far too cheap to make several magazine purchases.  I mean some where as expensive as $12!!!  Yea right!  So I whipped out my phone and took some pictures.  They are totally low quality, but I don't have many readers, so more than anything, this is my little "cyber bulletin board" of what would be magazine clippings if I could actually afford all of the magazines. 

Disclaimer:  I do not have all of the citation information for each photo, but I will post a hyperlinked list at the end of the pictures in case you would like to go to the store and check out the magazine yourself :)

This picture is the reason I opted for a Handmade Christmas!  I know, it's always something so small and seemingly insignificant. But I love these hand-sewn cards and so I wanted to try to do my own cards and the idea snowballed from there.


I have to apologize again for the terrible quality.  I was literally watching over my shoulder because I wasn't sure if I was even allowed to take pictures of magazines rather then buy them LOL!

This is a GORGEOUS wreath made from balls of yarn, pine cones, and jingles.  I think there are also some glittery gold foam ornaments as well.  I want to make a few wreaths this holiday season. 




Here is another wreath made with plastic berries, yarn wrapped around a foam circle shape, and felt rolled rose flowers.  I have been wanting to make a wreath for a few years... I figured, since I am doing a handmade Christmas-- there is no time like the present, right?!

 

I saw lots of examples of hand made paper ornaments like this one.  This one is special because it's the first one that I saw that was embellished like this-- LOVE ME SOME SPARKLY!  And I also really like the beading coming from the hanging wire and dangling down. These are really simple to make.  Get a paper punch at your local craft store in this scalloped circle shape.  Cut out three or four.  Embellish as you will.  Fold them in half and glue them to one another with a wire or string for hanging from the top (with a loop) until the bottom that you can embellish with beads.  I may not make a tree full of these, but I am going to give this a try!











I also saw lots of really cute things for children.  I like the idea of getting My Little Darling in the spirit by allowing her to hand craft gifts for her friends.  Like this Crayola wreath-- ADORABLE!
 
 

 
I love this picture frame with all the different textures of buttons.  This is a little more detailed then I would prefer for my daughter to work on, but I think the idea is cute and something that would be fun to do with a child as a joint effort for a gift.
And last, but definitely not least, a Christmas tree for a Little One.  My Little Darling has requested her own tree.  I would love to get her one, but I am still torn about the ornament situation.  I am not a big fan of having glass in the room of someone under the age of ten.  Ya just never know how that might turn out.  And My Little Darling is a WILD CHILD!  But I can do something like these adorable, easily crafted felt ornaments.  And I can make them WITH My Little Darling!
 
I am sure the layout of this post is a little crazy, but it's all good.  I just wanted a place to put all my handmade inspo.  Will you be doing anything interesting this year?  Crafting something special?  Are you attending a craft fair or will you be making just a few small sentimental gifts for a select few?  I wish I could allow people to post responses on here.  I would love to hear what others are doing and SEE what everyone is trying out...
 
Well, laundry calls!  And I am in no position not to listen! 
 
Happy Holidays!
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. I'm in the process of making my Christmas cards too, also have a wreath planned and a few more things. I love making things for Christmas.

    I like your cards, they're simple but very pretty and effective.

    Do you know Pinterest? That's my favourite place to go for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete