Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Trying Something New...

Hello, Hello!

I am trying to keep warm on this freezing Tuesday.

I keep meaning to blog more often, but I always keep coming up with excuses.  It's too cold to blog.  I'm too tired to blog.  I'm too hungry.  The kids are crazy today.  I have housework...  Well all of that holds true today:  It's a wintery hot mess outside.  It's lunch time and I have yet to begin preparing anything to consume.  I'm definitely too tired, as I am battling a sinus infection.  For someone who marathons all day, doing housework, I never seem to find an end to the pile of things to do around the house!  And yes, my Little Darling has a semi-permanent playmate, Little K, whom I babysit several times per week.  They are absolutely wild together.  I love it, but it's hard to tune out the distraction and focus on a blog post.

Today, I threw away the excuses and just decided to make something happen.  This blog is important to me.  It's a single spot, a safe spot, where I can chronicle my projects (the mishaps and the wins), and where I can journal for a brief moment.  I like to share, but I am often too busy to make time for such.  This is how I share and record.  I feel a little lost without blogging sometimes.  Guilty, even.  Like I am cheating on my blog with.... domestic life.

Well, I am back now.  The plan is to make an effort to remember what makes me smile (writing and sharing pictures) and to create time for that on a more consistent and regular basis.  My other plan is to avoid turning into a human popsicle.

Lately, I have planned and been working on several projects.  I have been hooking away, and I have been doing some... er-hem... sewing.  Hand sewing.  My sewing machine still intimidates the hell out of me, but I am going to conquer that territory as well one day.

I have been thinking a lot about habits, and I decided I needed to break one of mine.  I am ALWAYS coming up with really cute ideas and projects for little girls.  I love little girls clothes and toys, although, yes, I find some of the toys to be gender biased and offensive.  But I think I should try to make things for boys...  I want to open that creative spot in my mind, which, until recently, was filled with notions of Tonka trucks... frogs... bugs... drool?  Who knows!  Honestly, I only have one female child.  I never worry about creating things for little boys.  I think that sucks!  I hate that I can't even find something within the depths of my reasonably creative mind to design a project for a little boy.

And with that frustration, I did the only thing I know how to do when I come to a mental road block in terms of creativity.  I decided to WORK through it.  I immediately started on a set of blankets for little boys.  As of now, my mind still works in "Girlie Girl Mode", meaning I create something for a little girl and then "translate" it into something for a boy.  I think that worked well for me on this project, but this is just the beginning. I think boys are hilarious, energetic, fun, and wild.  I hope to work those sentiments into some interesting tangible projects, but until then, take a peak at what I have in the works for now...
 

I had been doing so many African Flowers lately.  I am in LOVE with hexagons!  I don't know why, but they're adorable.  So, for this, I went back to granny squares.  Single colored blocks.  Something simple.


I am sure that there is an art to taking pictures of colors, to make them show true.  I just have not managed to master this art!  I found this Bernat "Little Boy Blue" multi-colored yarn, which sort of kicked off my inspiration.  Then, I paired it with (a totally different kind of yarn) Caron Simply Soft in Soft Blue, Off White, and Cypress.  I have finished all the squares.  I just need to piece everything together.


I am hoping to turn this into a little set...  maybe with a hat?  A sweater?  Or should I try my hand at crocheting a teddy bear?   Ok, I don't know about that last one!  I don't have the patience at all to create amigurumi!

Until next time...  Stay Warm. Stay Happy!

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks for the lovely comment that you left on my blog. I would love to be able to create crochet like yours. I am trying to learn via books and Youtube at the moment and the struggle to follow patterns is my New Year challenge.
    Hope the sewing sessions go well, my daughter loves it and it is a great way to spend some time together.
    X

    ReplyDelete