Friday, February 21, 2014

Sharing A Little Love

Oh goodness!  The weather here has been so much better!  A huge improvement from all the freezing temperatures and the freezing rain.  I am so happy about the warmer weather that I refuse to even accept the fact that the change in temperatures and barometric pressure is giving me headaches.  I am just happy to be able to leave my balcony door open for a while to let some air in!  Cabin Fever is so very real!

The past week has been a little hectic.  I have been busy as usual, but I am always extra busy when there is a holiday or birthday.  Last week, I had both. Valentine's Day was Friday and my dear stepmom's birthday was Saturday.  We had so much fun on both days.

I have to admit that I am always jealous of those who plan things out so perfectly.  You know who I am talking about.  The ones who plan out their holiday crafts at least a month in advance so that they are prepared to blog about it along the way.  That's the difference between someone who knows what they are doing and is a serious blogger... and yours truly, here, always blogging about things late!  Ha!  Well, I take my family time and holiday time more seriously than blogging, so around the holidays, I really am tuned into the quality time rather than finding time for editing photos and blogging.

I did do a reasonable amount of Valentine crafts this year.  More than usual.  My Little Darling and I made Valentine's for her cheerleading squad of 11 girls.  Then we made a special gift for my younger sister who is very close with my Little Darling.  And then we thought, Why stop there?  We have so many supplies left over!  And so we made little cards and gift bags for everyone in my family to be handed out at my stepmom's birthday dinner.

 
This is the card my Little Darling made for her Omi.  I wrote the 5 things for her, but this is her hand print and she wrote everything else on the outside and the other side of the card.  It's funny that buying a child sweets (poptarts) can be the reason they love you so much!  The small things...
 
 
This is a little felt heart that my Little Darling sewed by hand.  I did the hot glue for the embellishments and I also wrote the words in the fabric paint. My Little Darling did all the sewing and she stuffed the heart herself.  I think I need to invest more time in teaching her to sew.  She's clearly very good at it! My mother also taught me when I was very young, around 5 or so.  My Little Darling is a little older than that, so I am behind in passing on what I learned.  She was so proud of herself when she finished stitching the heart.  Nothing feels better to a mother than to see her child feel a true sense of accomplishment.
 
And now on to my personal projects...
 
 
Another baby quilt done in granny squares, using the same pattern as the other blanket.  I don't know why, but I have been obsessed lately with making these quilts in different colors.  Eventually, I will need to make a decision about what to do with them!  For now, I have one more in mind...  That will give me a total of 5.  Oh!  And I apologize about the odd angle!
 
 
 
 
My husband bought me carnations and roses.  I love carnations!  Those flowers last foreverrrrr!  I found the little box with the rose decorations at Goodwill for a dollar.  Such a sweet find.  I will likely be using it often in pictures because I don't know what else to do with it other than stare at it.  It's just a cute piece of art in my life right now.
 

 
Call me crazy, but I love dying flowers...  Let me be clear, dying, not DEAD!  I love the subtle wilting on the petals and the color change.  I specifically waited until I had these flowers for a week before I took pictures of them.  Don't get me wrong.  I love fresh flowers as well. They're beautiful, but there is something bittersweet, a romance of sorts, associated with flowers that are dying.
 
 
So Beautiful!!!  ... or am I crazy?
 
Well, right now, I am about to have some lunch.  I was quite sick a couple of weeks ago and I believe I nursed myself back to life with hot, spicy, vegetable soups and hot spiced teas...  I also managed to lose a few pounds on this diet of detox soups and teas.  With the weather changing, people are falling sick all over again.  I am determined to wash out whatever illness I come into contact with for sure!
 
Last night, I made a delicious vegetable soup.
 
 
All this, a sweet potato and some spices.  Very hearty.  I usually make this soup with no meat in it, but I added some sausage this time.
 
 
This is the only way I can eat chickpeas... 
 
 
And this is the end result!  I think I'll have a bowl right now.
 
Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. very pretty balnket! first tme here.. will try your recipes soon .

    ReplyDelete